Finnish artists Huoratron and Mirel Wagner plus Swedish expat Theresa Andersson all have new albums profiled in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/arts/music/new-releases-from-huoratron-mirel-wagner-theresa-andersson.html?_r=3
Artist: Theresa Andersson
New music from Swedish expat/New Orleans resident/one-woman-band Theresa Andersson off her upcoming album "Street parade", due out March 14 in Sweden/April 24 elsewhere (I think?). Seems like she's going for a bit of a bittersweet 60s girl-group vibe on this one, though not necessarily in the fuzzy, lofi way made popular by Vivian Girls et al. A bit more swing, a lot more horns, and, as always with Ms. Andersson, a clever amalgamation of novel percussion elements that make up the song's base. Hit up her website for another tune featuring Peter Morén of Peter Bjorn and John: http://theresaandersson.com/
Theresa Andersson - Fiya's gone
Swedish expat singer/songwriter Theresa Andersson is using Kickstarter to fund her new album: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/269826550/theresa-andersson-live-lets-record-my-new-album-to
This has been a loooong time coming: famed engineer/producer Linus Larsson (Peter Bjorn and John, Tobias Fröberg, Theresa Andersson etc.) and artist John Roger Olsson (The Grand Opening, Hearts No Static) recorded the album "Leve hogrän" together back in the fall of 2007 and it will now finally be released as a digital download via on October 11. I posted a track back when I first heard it and can definitely say that it is highly recommended. Read more: http://www.headspinrecordings.com/releasedetails.php?ID=39
Theresa Andersson has just released a new live DVD "Live at Le Petit" and is throwing a contest to see who can get the most people to watch a shared version of the clip posted above. Read more about it here, but not before playing it on my page first!
I've long held the opinion that Tobias Fröberg's talents are best served as a sideman/producer (he's worked with Theresa Andersson, Peter Morén, Tomas Andersson Wij and many others, typically with strong results) and his new record "The big up" doesn't do much to sway me, but he does hit one out of the park every now and then and lead single "When we go to war" is a perfect example. It's dark and simmering in the right ways, giving a proper bottom to Tobias' lightweight vocals. The swell of the strings too; perfect counterpoint. All in all, a strong winter single and well worth checking out.
Tobias Fröberg - When we go to war
Hearts No Static are a trio from Stockholm and this digital EP is their debut before their debut, a small taste of what's to come when their full-length album is released in November. The songs on this release are rooted in improvisation, but you might not ever know, so connected are the three members as a single, cohesive unit. They all play in other, far more gregarious bands, but consider this is their playground; the place they can experiment with new ideas, new textures, new feelings.
"The monthly noise" was originally slated to be the 4th in a 4-part series of digital EPs, but now it is the first. The full-length record "Motif" will be releasing on November 20 via Bureau B. All tracks are self-recorded by the band at Möre Studio outside Stockholm in early 2009 and mixed my Linus Larsson (Peter Bjorn and John, Ane Brun, Theresa Andersson, etc.) of Gotland in late summer.
Download the full 5-song EP here.
Hearts No Static - Part 3
This week's top 20 Swedish album chart:
01. Malena Ernman - La voix du nord
02. Lasse Stefanz - Truck stop
03. Tomas Ledin - 500 dagar om året
04. Rolandz - Efter regn kommer solsken
05. Hans Edler with String Orchestra - Remember the sixties
06. Erik Linder - Inifrån
07. Larz Kristerz - Hem till dig
08. Sten & Stanley - Allsånger på vårt sätt
09. Caroline Af Ugglas - Så gör jag det igen
10. Blackjack - Summertime blues
11. Smurfarna - Smurfparty 2
12. Veronica Maggio - Och vinnaren är...
13. Theresa Andersson - Hummingbird, go!
14. Björn Afzelius & Mikael Wiehe - Olympiska nätter
15. Dead By April - Dead By April
16. Jannez - Guenerina
17. Benny Andersson Band - Story of a heart
18. The Refreshments - A band's gotta do what a band's gotta do
19. Style - Vill ha dej igen
20. Johan Palm - My antidote
This week's top 20 Swedish album chart:
01. Thorleifs - Sweet kissin' in the moonlight
02. E.M.D. - A state of mind - deluxe
03. Caroline Af Ugglas - Så gör jag det igen
04. Larz Kristerz - Hem till dig
05. Malmö Opera Kör & Orkester - Jesus Christ superstar
06. The Boppers - Vibrations
07. Veronica Maggio - Och vinnaren är...
08. Måns Zelmerlöw - MZW
09. Innocent Rosie - Bad habit romance
10. Lisa Ekdahl - Give me that slow knowing smile
11. Sofia Karlsson - Söder om kärleken
12. Promoe - Kråksången
13. Alcazar - Disco defenders
14. Thåström - Kärlek är för dom
15. Intohimo - Us; the hollows
16. Pauline - Never said I was an angel
17. Moneybrother - Real control
18. Lili & Susie - Nu och då - Det bästa med Lili & Susie
19. Theresa Andersson - Hummingbird, go!
20. Miss Li - Dancing the whole way home
LAist talks to Theresa Andersson: http://laist.com/2009/01/05/laist_interview_-_theresa_andersson.php
PopMatters reviews Swedish expat Theresa Andersson: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/65437-theresa-andersson-hummingbird-go/
PopMatters calls Swedish expat Theresa Andersson one of their favorite acts from CMJ: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/65256/cmj-music-marathon-2008-from-top-draw-to-taco-bell/
Here's a full report with photos from last night's show at the House of Sweden in Washington DC with Theresa Andersson, Ane Brun and Tobias Fröberg: http://www.expressnightout.com/content/2008/10/swedish_sweets_tobias_froberg_ane_brun_t.php
New interviews at the Washington Post Express: Hello Saferide / Ane Brun
HS is at the House of Sweden tonight with Firefox AK and Ane Brun performs tomorrow (October 21) with Tobias Fröberg and Theresa Andersson.
Norwegian country-rock act Real Ones will be coming over for CMJ:
10/22 - Rehab (Stranded In Stereo CMJ Showcase), NYC, NY
10/22 - Living Room, (CMJ Showcase), NYC, NY w/Theresa Andersson, Ane Brun, Tobias Fröberg
10/23 - Harpers Ferry, Boston, MA
10/25 - Fat Baby (CMJ Showcase), NYC, NY w/Marching Band